Family STEAM Night - We hope you can join us for our first ever Cumberland Family STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) Night on Thursday, October 18 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. Enjoy this interactive experience with your child and put your heads together to solve age appropriate problems at each grade level. Don't forget to stop by the MPR to visit the Scholastic Book Fair that evening. Click here to view the flyer that will be coming home next week in your child's backpack.
New PTO Secretary - We would like to thank Nilu Patel for volunteering to cover the open board secretary position for the 2018-2019 school year. Our PTO board positions are now filled for the year. We appreciate the time each board member puts in to help our students and staff!
Chipotle Dine & Share - Please consider bringing your friends and family to the upcoming PTO Dine & Share at Chipotle Mexican Grill (102 E. Kensington Rd. in Mount Prospect) on Monday, October 15, from 4:00-8:00 p.m. Bring a copy of the flyer, or a screenshot of it on your phone, and 33% of your order will go to the Cumberland PTO.
D62 Greeting Card Contest - All District 62 students are invited to enter the 2018 Winter Greeting Card design contest. The first place winner's design will be featured on a greeting card sent to community leaders, and will be proudly displayed on the district's website and shared via social media. All design entries will be displayed at the Des Plaines Public Library. The first, second, and third place winners will be honored at the Monday, November 19 Board of Education meeting. All students entering the contest will receive participation certificates. The deadline for all entries is October 17, 2018 to the Cumberland office. Click English, Spanish, and Polish for additional information and the parent release form.
Lost and Found Table - We have a lot of very nice looking jackets, sweaters, hats, etc. on our lost and found table. If your child is missing an article of clothing, please have him/her check the table outside the nurse's office for these items.
Scholastic Book Fair Help Needed - The Scholastic Book Fair will be at Cumberland on Tuesday, October 16 through Friday, October 19 and the PTO needs volunteers for this event. Click here if you are able to help!
Student Assessment Reports - MAP reports went home with 3rd - 5th grade students last Friday. Students in K-2 no longer take this assessment so an explanation letter from D62 went home with those children. If you did not receive the letter, click for English, Spanish, or Polish for the complete update.
Head Lice Information - Please read the attached information regarding head lice from Donna Zenger, our D62 School Nurse. Click for English, Spanish or Polish letters.
Notice of Fertilizer and Weed Spray - Click here to view the D62 letter about the application of fertilizer and weed spray on the Cumberland campus.
PTO News and Events -
- The Halloween Bash is coming on October 26, from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Save the date and have the kids get their costumes ready. The Halloween Bash will be the only in-school party for the 2018-2019 year, as we will not hold the standard Spring fling or Valentine Dance this year. We need your help with the items below for this event to be successful:
- Unopened Toys - we will be having a "Kids Raffle" with new, unopened toys. This is a great time to clean out those closets. We will accept any size/type of unopened toys for this raffle. Toy donations can be dropped off in the main office with items labeled for the PTO.
- Volunteers are needed to help run the event, click here to sign-up.
- Cake Walk Donations - Please bake any sweets that are your favorite, put 4-6 items on a shrink-wrapped paper plate. Please include a label with the name of the item and ingredients (for allergies). Purchased donations are welcome too. Bring these to the Halloween Bash or donate on Friday Oct 26 at the end of the school day. The kids LOVE this game and your sweets are the prize!
- Pre-Sale Entrance Fee and Tickets are available - Cash purchase forms will be coming home in backpacks soon, or you can purchase here at the bottom of the form.
- Upcoming After-School Enrichment:
- The PTO earned over $8500 for the Walk-a-Thon which is the most it has ever raised in the history of the program, beating last years record of $5300. This is AMAZING for our school. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who contributed and participated! The winners and prizes are listed below. Prizes will come home with the students in the next couple of weeks.
- Family Pass to Kohl Children’s Museum - Yesui Emily Bayar-Erdene in 1st grade
- Gift Card to Ball Factory - Lily Geers in kindergarten
- SkyZone - 1 Hour of Jump - Allie Wager in 1st grade
- SkyZone - 1 Jour of Jump - Isaac Leyva in 4th grade
- Pump it Up gift certificate and Water Bottle - Wesley Huntington in 3rd grade
- Ride to School in a Des Plaines Firetruck - Maya (3rd Grade) & Allison (1st grade) Wager
- YMCA Family Membership - Sarvesh Suresh in 4th grade
- Most participation by class: Ms. Gierszewicz class had over 50% participation from students in her class which means they win EXTRA RECESS time on a date selected by their teacher
- Congratulations to all our winners, thanks for your effort everyone!!!!