Food Drive - The Cumberland Student Council is holding a food drive to benefit the Des Plaines Self-Help Pantry once again this year. They are especially in need of canned fruit, frosting, and hats and gloves at this time. Please place your items in the boxes outside the main office before November 22nd. Thank you Cumberland families for your generosity to the community.
Illinois School Report Card - Letters went home last week in backpacks with information about the 2019 Illinois School Report Card. Cumberland is once again listed as a "Commendable" site. We are so proud of how hard our students and staff are working to achieve this status. Click here to view the letter and here to view the Cumberland School Report Card link.
School Closing Guidelines - Winter is fast approaching, so please familiarize yourself with the D62 School Closing guidelines. Click for English, Spanish, and Polish information. Please note: if you have opted out of receiving the Blackboard Connect calls, you will have to opt back in to receive notification about school closings from the district. Please contact the Cumberland office for help with this process.
Parent Survey - Great News! Cumberland parents are currently leading the district with the number of online 5Essentials surveys that have been completed. We would greatly appreciate you setting aside a few minutes to take the survey by clicking here. If you have more than one child at Cumberland, please take the survey for each child. Turn in the completed flyer that came home with your child after taking the survey, and your child will receive two Super Raffle Tickets.
Parent Conference Sign-Up Link - If you have not already done so, please click here to secure a time slot with your child's teacher for Parent Teacher Conferences. If you have difficulties with the form please call the Cumberland office at 847-824-1451 for assistance.
Report Cards - First trimester report cards will be coming home with students next Friday, November 22nd. Click here for information about the Standards Based Grading System that we use in District 62.
The Giving Table - If your family has a need, please visit the Giving Table during Parent Teacher Conferences. Feel free to take gently used children's clothing, coats, hats, gloves, and scarves. If you have gently used children's clothing or outerwear that others might be able to use, feel free to leave those items on the table or send them ahead of time to the school office.
Tree Lighting Ceremony - We hope you can join us for the Des Plaines Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony (Metropolitan Square - 647 Metropolitan Way) on Friday, December 6th starting at 4:00 p.m. This is a fun and free event for the entire family. Click here to view the details.
Library News - On November 7, 2019, many classes participated in a program called “Read for the Record.” In conjunction with the Des Plaines Public Library, Cumberland students had the opportunity to read the book, Thank You, Omu, by Oge Mora. We joined thousands of children across the country who read the same book on the same day. We had 183 students and teachers participate in this fun and educational activity.
Family Reading Night - Secretary of State, Jesse White, has declared Thursday, November 21, 2019, as our state’s Family Reading Night. That is the night that Cumberland has some of our evening parent-teacher conferences, too. Miss Zachwieja will have Family Reading Night activities set up in the LMC on November 21st from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Feel free to stop by with your family, even if you don’t have a parent-teacher conference scheduled that evening. This year’s theme is: “It’s Showtime at Your Library!”
- Movie Night Tonight - Toy Story 4 will be the feature movie this evening (Friday, November 15th) starting at 6:00 p.m. in the Cumberland gym. Click here to view the details.
- Snowman Village - The Snowman Village is a one day only shopping experience for our students. On December 3rd, the Cumberland multipurpose room will be transformed into a winter wonderland shopping village where students can purchase gifts for family and friends. We have to have volunteers for this event, so if you are available to help for an hour or two on Tuesday, December 3rd please click here to sign up.
- Dine & Share - We hope you can join us for the upcoming Dine & Share at Charcoal Delights (1090 E. Oakton St., Des Plaines) on Thursday, November 21st from 4:00-9:00 p.m. By presenting a printed or digital copy of the flyer, Cumberland School will receive 10% of your total sale.
- Chess Scholars - The winter session of the Chess Scholars after school program will take place from December 18th - March 4th. Click here to view the flyer.
- PTO Meeting - We hope you can join us for the next meeting on Monday, December 2nd at 6:00 p.m. in the Cumberland LMC. Childcare will be available.
On behalf of the entire Cumberland Staff, we wish your family a Happy Thanksgiving holiday filled with the love of family and friends!!!