- Summer Reading Club - We would like to congratulate the Cumberland students who finished the Summer Reading Club from the Des Plaines Public Library. Children become better readers simply by reading more often. These students have put forth extra effort and we applaud their hard work!!! Click here for the list of participants, way to go boys and girls, we are very proud of you!
- Parents of 4th and 5th Graders - Your child's spring 2016 PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) results came home on September 23. If you would like more details about interpreting these results click here.
- D62 Winter Card Design Contest - All District 62 students are invited to enter the 2016 Winter Greeting Card design contest. The first place winner's design will be featured on a greeting card sent to community leaders and will be proudly displayed on the district's website and shared via social media. All design entries will be displayed at the Des Plaines Public Library. The first, second, and third place winners will be honored at the Monday, November 21 Board of Education meeting. All students participating will receive a certificate. The deadline for all entries is Wednesday, October 12. Click here for the parent release form and additional contest information.
- Message From D62 - The district is aware of the recent social media posts and news about threats being made to schools nationwide by “creepy clowns”. The safety of our students and staff remains a priority in our district. We are monitoring this situation very carefully and have maintained close contact with the Des Plaines Police Department. They have informed us that they do not have any information about any clown-related incidents occurring in either Des Plaines or the surrounding communities, however we will remain vigilant. As this is a social media-related hoax, if you or your child encounter such posts that reference any District 62 schools, please contact our school office. In addition, should any of your children see a clown, please encourage them to walk/run away and treat the clown like a stranger. Do not engage in conversation and please have them notify an adult immediately. Out of sensitivity to this nationwide issue, we ask that students refrain from dressing up like clowns this year for Halloween during school celebrations. Thank you in advance for understanding this request.
- Halloween Reminders - Student Halloween costumes cannot include representations of weapons of any kind (i.e. swords, guns, clubs, lasers, etc.). Costumes should not display blood or gore and masks should allow for children to have a clear line of vision. As stated above, students will not be allowed to dress up as a clown. Also, new this year, classroom celebrations will not include food per the new District 62 policy change. Detailed information will be coming home soon in your child's backpack.
- Giving Table Donations - We will once again be offering a Giving Table during Parent Teacher Conferences in November. We are seeking donations of new or gently used children's and adult size winter clothing and winter gear (hats, gloves, scarves) as well as children's winter boots and snow pants. These items will be made available for any of our families in need during conferences.
- PTO Halloween Bash Volunteers Needed - The Halloween Bash will take place on Friday, October 28, from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Volunteers are needed for this event to be a success. Please click here to sign up.
- Walk-A-Thon Results - Click here to view the full results and prize winners for this year's PTO Walk-A-Thon. Thanks so much to all our families that participated!!!
Cumberland Calendar Link