Summer Reading And Math Challenge Participants - We want to congratulate our students who worked so hard over the summer to complete the Reading and Math Challenge. Their hard work was rewarded with a certificate and medal for each book completed as well as a special 20 minute recess with Ms. Duggan for each book. Click to view the list of Reading and Math participants. We are so proud of their hard work and dedication!
Summer Reading Club - A student was inadvertently left off of the Des Plaines Library Summer Reading Club participants. Please join me in congratulating 4th grader Felipe Guerra for his hard work and effort in completing the requirements for this program.
Assembly Donation - We would like to thank the D62 Foundation for their generous donation of $750 to Cumberland School in the name of the PTO. This money is earmarked for a future school-wide cultural arts assembly that all of our students will be able to enjoy.
Fire Department Open House - The Des Plaines Fire Department will be hosting their annual Open House on Saturday, September 29th from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Click here to view the list of events.
PTO News and Events:
- Weather permitting, the PTO Walk-A-Thon will be held today, (Friday, September 21st), starting at 1:15 behind the school. This is the PTO's biggest fundraiser, and proceeds go toward field trips, guest speakers, kindergarten and fifth grade promotions, and teacher appreciation in May. The family (siblings combined) with the biggest donation will ride to school in a Des Plaines fire truck. Raffle drawings include a 3 month YMCA family pass, tickets to the Kohl's Childrens Museum, and SKyZone. Donations will be accepted past the Sept 21st deadline and all donations receive an email with tax deduction information. Prizes will also be handed out to students even after the Walk-A-Thon. Click here to donate now.
- Our next PTO meeting will take place on Monday, October 1st in the LMC. Childcare is provided, and meetings are one hour in length. If you are interested in joining the PTO, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We hope you can join us for the next Dine & Share that will take place on Monday, October 15th at Chipotle Mexican Grill (102 E. Kensington Road, Mt. Prospect) from 4:00-8:00 p.m.
- The Scholastic Book Fair will be open for purchases from October 17th-19th with night hours on the 18th from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Proceeds go toward new books for the school library, birthday books for all our students, and educational materials for each classroom. We are looking for volunteers to work in 30 minute increments helping students choose their purchases. The signup will be coming soon!
- The Halloween Bash will take place on Friday, October 26th from 6:00-8:00 p.m. This event is our second biggest fundraiser and will be our only onsite bash/fling of the year. We need volunteers to make this event a success so please consider donating your time. We are also seeking suggestions for games and entertainment that will amuse the children. The signup will be coming soon!
- We are excited to bring back three After School Enrichment Classes:
- Power Play will start on Monday, September 24th. Click here to view the details.
- Chess Scholars will take place on Wednesdays from October 10th to December 19th. Click here to sign up for Chess Scholars. You will need to enter the class code CDL10.10.18 to register. The registration deadline will be September 30th to receive early bird pricing.
- Young Rembrandts Art Classes will run from October 5th to December 14th. To register click here.