Halloween - Click here for a full list of Halloween events and costume restrictions. Kindergarten students will not be in attendance on Halloween and will celebrate the day before. This flyer will also be coming home next week in backpacks.
Bullying Prevention Month - October is designated as National Bullying Prevention Month. We will be using the Second Step's Bullying Prevention Curriculum to help Cumberland School continue to be a safe and respectful place. Your child will be learning how to recognize when bullying is happening,
report bullying to a caring adult, refuse to let bullying happen to themselves or others, and be a bystander who stands up and is part of the solution to bullying. We will be sending home parent letters and Homelinks to keep you informed. Here is a helpful website with Bullying Prevention Resources. If you have any questions, please contact Liz Arnold, Cumberland Social Worker, at 847-824-1466.
D62 NewsBits - District 62 has created a publication called NewsBits to keep families and community members informed of the things happening around the district. To see the first edition click for English, Spanish, or Polish. To get the updates sent directly to your email click here to sign-up (scroll down to D62 NewsBits Sign-up section).
PTO News and Events...
Halloween Bash - We hope you can join us next Friday, October 26 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. for the annual PTO Halloween Bash. Get the kids' costumes ready, and bring the entire family for a great evening out! There will be games to play, prizes to win, a DJ dance party, costume contest, photo booth, an opportunity to put your friends in "jail", raffle prizes, food for sale, and so much more! The Halloween Bash will be the only in-school party for the 2018-2019 year, as we will not hold the standard Spring fling or Valentine Dance this year. There is an entrance feel of $10 per family, and tickets for games/food will be sold at the door. Pre-purchase your entry at the link here (see the bottom of the form), and get free tickets! Entry can also be paid at the door. We also need volunteers, so please help in any way possible. Here are some ways you can assist:
- Volunteers are needed to help run the event! Click here to sign-up.
- Cake Walk Donations - Please bake any sweets that are your favorite, put 4-6 items on a shrink-wrapped paper plate. Please include a label with the name of the item and ingredients (for allergies). Purchased donations are welcome too. Bring these to the Halloween Bash or donate on Friday Oct 26 at the end of the school day. The kids LOVE this game and your sweets are the prize!
- Unopened Toys - we will be having a "Kids Raffle" with new, unopened toys. This is a great time to clean out those closets. We will accept any size/type of unopened toys for this raffle. Toy donations can be dropped off in the main office with items labeled for the PTO.
PTO MEETING - Join us on on Monday, November 5 for the next PTO meeting at 6:00 p.m. in the LMC. FREE babysitting will be provided.
Referendum - A reminder that Maine Township District 207 Board of Education has approved a Referendum in the November 6 election. More details: yes207.com. Below is a summary of its components:
- Improve safety and security at Maine East, South, and West high schools
- Save taxpayer dollars by improving energy efficiency and reducing costly repairs
- And finally provide 21st century classrooms and labs at our local high schools
Water Bottle Stations - The PTO will be purchasing a new drinking fountain and water bottle fill station for Cumberland. Each machine costs over $1,800 so we will start with replacing the current water fountain near the gym in the primary wing. Over the next two years, we will replace the remaining fountains throughout the school.
Dine & Share - Mark your calendar, the next Dine & Share will take place on Tuesday, November 13 from 4:00-8:00 p.m. at Salerno's (1716 East Kensington, Mount Prospect). We would like to thank all of the families and staff who came to Chipotle's for our last Dine & Share, everyone had a great time while earning money for our school!