Parent Volunteer Sign-Up - Have you ever wondered what the PBIS Celebrations look like? How about what the Paw Market is all about? We are still in need of volunteers for school events throughout the year. Click here to sign up for one of our many exciting celebrations.
Parent Conference Sign-Up Link - The November Parent Teacher Conference sign-up link is now live. Click here to secure a time slot with the Cumberland teachers. If you have difficulties with the form please call the Cumberland office at 847-824-1451 for assistance.
The Giving Table - The Giving Table will once again be available during November Parent Teacher Conferences. The table, located outside the office, will contain gently used children's clothing, coats, hats, gloves, and scarves. Feel free to stop by when you are attending your conference and take whatever items your family may need. If you have gently used children's clothing or outerwear that others might be able to use, feel free to leave those items on the table or send them ahead of time to the school office.
Emergency Clothing in Lockers - Please make sure that your child keeps an extra pair of pants, socks, and underwear in his/her locker at all times. Students sometimes get wet at recess, or have accidents during the school day and need a change of clothing. This will prevent us from interrupting your day to bring needed garments to school.
Erin's Law Classes - Starting November 4th, as part of the social emotional curriculum, the school social workers will be going into classrooms to educate students on abuse prevention. These classes known as "Erin's Law" are a State of Illinois requirement for kindergarten through eighth grade. Fourth and fifth graders will receive this instruction through their health curriculum. Click here to view informational letter that was sent home with students last week.
Crossing Guards Needed - The Des Plaines Police Department is still looking for crossing guards. The position pays $15.00 per hour. If you or anyone you know is interested, please share this information. You can contact Officer Heidkamp at (847)-391-5498, or click here to view the details.
Free Parenting Classes - Peter Martin, Social Worker at Chippewa Middle School, is offering free Love and Logic parenting classes. These sessions meet on Thursday evenings from November 7th - December 19th from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Chippewa. Contact Peter Martin at 847-824-1532 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. Click here for additional information.
Support Our School Through Shopping - Please consider helping Cumberland School through these two very easy shopping opportunities:
- Box Tops For Education - If you see Box Tops that can be cut out, please continue to send them in before the expiration date. They are moving away from the cut out Box Tops and going to an app. All you have to do is download the BoxTops app to your phone by clicking here. Then choose Cumberland Elementary School as the organization you want to support. Every time you shop, just take a photo of your receipt using the "Scan" button in the app within 14 days. If the receipt is long, you can take multiple photos. Please share this information with friends and family so they can support our school as well.
- Amazon - Cumberland can get up to .5% of some of the purchases you make on Amazon! When making a purchase through Amazon, do not use the app, instead use the Amazon Smile website and make the purchase there. Select "Add to home screen," login and select "Cumberland Parent Teacher Organization." Now just shop as usual every time you want to make purchases on Amazon! Again, send this message to your friends and family as everyone can help us out.
PTO News and Reminders...
- Movie Night - Our first Movie Night of the year is coming up on November 15th at 6:00 p.m. Flyers will be sent home soon in backpacks. To volunteer for this event, please click here and choose your preferred time slot!
- Snowman Village - We are very excited to be hosting the Snowman Village Holiday Store for one day only on Tuesday, December 3rd. Students will have the opportunity to purchase inexpensive holiday gifts for family and friends in the Cumberland multipurpose room. Click here to view the flyer. It will be coming home in backpacks soon.
- Thank You - We would like to send our sincere appreciation to all of the Halloween Bash volunteers, both parents and staff! We couldn't have pulled off such a great event without all of you! The volunteer gift card winners were: Julia Jensen, Lisa Radakovic, Kelly Amarjarjal and Erin Gillespie. The Halloween Guessing Jar winners were: Cole J, Mrs. Mullane, Mr. Niemiec.
- Book Fair Winner - Thank you for all of the classroom book donations and for supporting reading in our school! The volunteer gift card winner for the book fair was: Elmasa Sano.
- PTO Meeting - We hope you can join us for the next meeting on Monday, November 4th at 6:00 p.m. in the Cumberland LMC. Childcare will be available.